Tuesday, March 27, 2012

52

Wow, Michele's right, I have been slacking.

So it's really only been about a week since I've been going back to the gym, playing sports and being more active, but I feel much better about things already. I've been trying to get back into the things I used to LOVE - softball and dancing. I went out and bought a ball the other day and I've been meeting up with friends to play. I also set up a big game for this weekend with a bunch of people from school. In a couple weeks I start a dance class I signed up for. I am soooooo excited to start dancing again! I've also been playing tennis, and yesterday I finally started running again. Note to self: NEVER TAKE 7 MONTHS OFF AGAIN. I am back at square one. But this time around I'm running on a slight incline so it's more akin to running outside.


Anyway, I had some free time this evening so I started reading through a book that helped me a lot last year: Cook This, Not That. It's all about stocking up on ingredients that are better for you based on fat/fiber/protein and cooking more. For instance, if you follow their recipe for a homemade caesar salad, it is about 400 calories rather than 1000 from a restaurant. I am going to follow a couple of their recipes this week, and I think this weekend I will treat myself to their version of french toast with vanilla bourbon caramelized bananas. It's obviously not as healthy as fresh fruit, like I've been eating most mornings, but it's a great way to treat myself to something delicious for 400 calories as opposed to the 1500 it would be a diner. Here is the recipe:


Heat 2 tbsp unsalted butter in nonstick pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of bourbon and 1/4 cup brown sugar and stir to dissolve. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until bubbly. Add 1/4 cup of walnuts and cook for an additional 2 minutes; add the bananas and heat through. Stir in 1/4 cup of 2% milk and keep warm.


Whisk together the remaining 3/4 cup of 2% milk, 3 eggs, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons of bourbon. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is warm, spray with a light coating of nonstick cooking spray. Dip the bread into the bourbon egg mixture and... well, you know how to make french toast. Serve with the warm banana topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment